The Cathedral of St. John the Divine impresses with sheer size. Its detailed façade towers over Amsterdam Avenue, and the building extends a full avenue block to Morningside Drive. The Cathedral is more than 120 years old, and is the largest gothic Cathedral in the world, making it a global landmark. The Cathedral’s distinctive architecture is an equal claim to fame, and an important monument in the history of its neighborhood and city. The Cathedral was constructed in roughly three phases, with input by such notable architects as George Lewis Heins, Christopher Grant LaFarge, and Ralph Adams Cram. The interior can accommodate more than 800 guests for a seated dinner or 2,500 for a cocktail reception.
The full length of the Cathedral’s Nave—at a record-breaking 601 feet—was completed and consecrated on November 30, 1941. Ceilings soar at more than six stories with gigantic pillars and stained glass windows lining the entire length, designed to create a sense of uplift, awe, and human connection. The entire Cathedral comprises 101,000 square feet. In addition to its role as a house of worship and spiritual landmark, the Cathedral has become a major venue for exhibitions, concerts and events.
The Cathedral and its surrounding gardens and buildings form an 11.3-acre complex collectively referred to as the Close. Every area within the Cathedral and surrounding gardens delights and inspires.